some refreshments

some refreshments

Well.. it's 5 in the morning ( MONDAY morning) and i haven't finish my chem lab homeworks yet. Seems to stuck somewhere in between the equation stuffs. Then i wrote this. Actually I was writing to myself to be posted in this journal but then i think it will be nice if somebody can take advantage of it. So, i further the explainations and post it to the MASA. At first i just wanted to remind me again like what i did everytime the Monday comes. Then, it became like this. You see, i was once a crap at skooling and that answers the question about why on earth am I a year behind. I was stoopid that I couldn't handle a couple of extra subjects and there I was, studying the whole thing again in the kelas peralihan. Well.. there are some old stories meant to be kept inside and some meant to be published. This is meant to be published :p Anyway, this is actually a saying to myself... don't be offended with it..

Dear MASA members,

I think it is important to say this before i further wrote about what lingers in my mind. This is just me writing and it has nothing to do with MASA or so whatever. I am pretty concern about our studies here at Pennstate especially the juniors. This has came upon me quite a few time since I myself had troubles to begin with during my first semester.

As you know, we are halfway through fall semester and believe it or not, you will be suprised when you just suddenly know that tomorrow is your finals. Yes.. Time is flying by and as dr zahratul said, time is our enemy. So, this is just a reminder or maybe some refreshments of what I personally, and you guys should do before you continue with all the readings.

There will be some happy grades but it will be nice if you (the geniuses) keep on reading this because maybe there is something particular which is not known to you. As for the sad grades, don't give up because you are not at the end of the day yet (we are still halfway).

Studying here is all about involvement. It is how you put yourself into the study thangs. Much time spent means more involvements. Hey you dont really have interesting stuffs to do at State College so what's up with the time wasted? Involve yourselves! Plan your days. Make it clear and make it real. Make it sufficient!

This is no time to wait. Sit tight and plan everything from the beginning. Actually, the thing is simple. You just need to follow the schedule. Come to the class and be alive. Note that your study schedule is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. everyday even if you dont have any classes. This is how the thing works. Weekdays are weekdays. So dont just go to your dorm everytime you finished with a class. Have breakfast at the Creamary. Drink some coffee and look at your schedule again. Then find some cool place for you to sit and do the revision or better do the homeworks for the previous class. Dont wait till it gets to the very last minutes. Work all the way till it is evening. Go home and relax. Wasn't that a productive day? You see.. these are not just additions. These are requirements for you to improve your grades. Don't worry you will not be called a nerd since everybody is doing it. Look around and see for yourselves. See how they spend their time studying even at the HUB lawn.

My favorite places would be the HUB, the libraries and some cool and 'hidden' places like the study lounges. My very own room is the least because i do not believe myself to sit tight in front of my tocibai for the first 30 minutes. Choose the best for you. Find your favorite place and trademark it.

The textbooks are not for showcases even if your instructor give you enough lecture notes. Be in the subjects and try to enjoy it. I will be happy studying if I know what on earth am i studying in the first place. So, always.. always read before coming to the class. Always read the textbook. You are a student. Either ways, the textbook will be your best friend starting from now.

At this very moment, it seems that most of us are finished with the first tests. If you are in a bad situation (it is bad if you got a D or even a C), then don't cry, don't lose. Sit tight and relieve yourselves. Find somebody to talk to. Find the strengths. The world is not over (that was Farid's words for me). I suggest you to look again at your elion. Particularly at the GPA Prediction located somewhere at the left column. The link is clear. This is where you predict or plan what grades you would like to have. This is where you make your targets. 2.75? 3.0? 3.5? 4.0? calculate it yourselves. Then, after you finished predicting, look again at your syllabus. Find out how the points are given. Find about the weights of all the exams, homeworks and other sections even if it only worths 0.5 point. Find the answers to these questions. Where are you now? What is your average? Are you really that bad? Then compare it to the GPA prediction you just made. How it will look? Do you think you will need to work harder? Answer it yourself. I believe this will give you the strength back. Some of us maybe gave up just because something which is foggy. This is how I myself regained the strength. Live again until today.

The next thing to do is to follow the flows. You have your schedules, you have your targets and you have your favorite place. Just flow with the crowds. You will find that it is quite fun especially when you start doing well.

That's all from me. Again this is just a personal sayings. Nothing to do with the MASA or any group of people. It is just me who believe that even the worst person like me can improve and craps... I really want to take psychology :D guess JPA will never tolerate about my future. How sad...

So, if you have any particular problems please refer to the seniors. They have experiences and they might have had the same problems as yours. The MASA also exists not for nothing. We are indeed happy if MASA PennState is known all throughout the States not just because of the Midwest Games (which we are sucks at) but also academically. And personally, i believe in you guys and I am grateful of my dear friends and will want to express my thanks to them because they were there when i was doomed...

Live again...


~abe~

Posted by Ahmad Fadzli on October 20, 2003 at 5:34:00 PM | Permalink